Tuesday 22 June 2010

Venus plans to be 'simply the best' again at Wimbledon

LONDON — Venus Williams has revealed her bid for a sixth Wimbledon singles' title is being inspired by pop star Tina Turner.
Venus raised more than a few eyebrows at the French Open last month when she played in a black corset-style dress and flesh-coloured underwear.
The powers that be at the All England Club would never tolerate such a flamboyant outfit, so the eight-time Wimbledon finalist has had to tone down her appearance here.
But Venus still took to the Court One on Monday for her match with Rossana De Los Rios in a uniquely personal outfit.
She claims the so-called shimmy dress is inspired by Turner, whose hits includes the likes of 'Simply The Best' and 'What's Love Got To Do With It'.
Williams was definitely far too good for De Los Rios as she crushed the Paraguayan 6-3, 6-2 to set up a second round meeting with Russia's Ekaterina Makarova.
"My dress was inspired by Tina Turner," Venus said. "It still has a lace motif and I think it's just a fun, elegant dress. Here it's all about white. There is no illusion this time.
"I love Tina Turner. Obviously, she's just an amazing, amazing artist, just a survivor.
"She reinvented herself. Plus she looks great. I've loved her forever. So the dress is really inspired by her."
Venus, beaten by sister Serena in last year's final, was never troubled by De Los Rios and admitted she had been raring to go after a long wait due to the length of previous matches on the court.
"It was a really a long day at the tennis (waiting to play). So I was happy to get on and everything was pretty straightforward," she said.
"I was just ready to go. I've been practicing on the grass since Wednesday so I feel like I had a good feel for it.
"It's the first round and that can be tough because you never know how the courts are going to play, if it's going to be slippery, how the bounce will be.
"Each one's playing so different but I was pretty happy with how the court was playing."
Few players on the women's tour can match the potent mix of power and poise Venus displays on grass, but the 30-year-old refused to get carried away by the ease of her first round victory.
"I've had times where I've had a slower start, I've had times where I've had a faster start, so each one is different," she added.

No comments: